Strands of Genius: June 4
Curated by @rosiesiman + @faris
- Nirvana were inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame this week. [We miss you Kurt.] Michael Stipe gave a brilliant speech in their honor. “We were a generation in the echo chamber of that collective howl.” Bravo.
- In the USA, at least 10,000 2 & 3 year old children are being given medication for ADHD. How in the name of Hippocrates a doctor can in good conscience diagnose infant ADHD and prescribe for it is beyond us. Medicine is prone is fashion and commerce like anything else, which is interesting in light of this article that suggests that 100 years ago American children were encouraged to be wild and rebellious, to "express the republic's revolutionary values."
- When you travel a lot, you start to think about ways to make that whole experience smoother. [Hence our involvement in Marriott's #TravelBrilliantly innovation program.] The airports in 'Murica are huge and there is much walking. A couple years ago Faris mentioned to Rosie the idea of a luggage / Segway hybrid and lo someone in China totally stole the idea. Except he had it 10 years ago and then, you know, made one.
- Our buddy Steve is the mastermind behind the semi-legal street race using rented vehicles known as the Rental Car Rally. The next one is LA to Paradise on Friday, July 11th. You can read more about in ye olde New York Times. Steve says: "I always call it Burning Man on Wheels. Or Halloween on Wheels. Or just a damn good time."
- Do you have vocal fry? It may hurt your chances in job interviews but it's sooo cuuuuuutea. #glottalstop
- One of the more disturbing things we've read of late is this harrowing story about Chris "Birdman" Anderson and the catfish-ish internet stalker / impersonator who made his life hellish and made him a recluse.
- “No one will understand you. It is not, ultimately, that important. What is important is that you understand you.” Read The Humans by Matt Haig. It's a beautiful novel that helps you understand the human condition by observing it from the outside. Like Data in TNG. We give it our highest recommendation.
- Faris helped WARC conceptualize their Social Strategy Prize and they asked him to give comment on the winners. You should read Integrative Ideas and Social Brands and tell us what you think.
- And finally, the internet is made of data. This is "How quickly data is generated" [Shouldn't it be are generated?]